The work of “Pharmacist” it is born with Galeno (II century AD). He begins to use compoundings of medicinal grass and their extracts as medicines, that are remedies that want to recover the illnesses. Since then, up to the first years of 1900, the chemist has been the “COMPOUNDER”. It will be develops, in the next centuries, the ARS MEDICAMENTARIA the art to compound, in various active forms, the proper remedy to a specific pathology. The nature is an inexhaustible source of remedies that it can be drawn out both from plants, from mineral and animals and the laboratory becomes the place of the experiment and the compounding: the forge.
Beginning from the years 1930 of last century, with the advent of the industrialization, the role of the pharmacist, as compounder, becomes marginal as the pharmaceutical industries was born. Only few pharmacies maintain today the tradition of compounding.
The Pharmacy Fiorentini dr. Carlo has put a particular attention to this fundamental aspect of the profession of the pharmacist preserving the role of compounder and developing, in the years, a laboratory well equipped, with personal trained We are able to compound a lot of pharmaceutical forms: traditional (water solutions, alcoolic and oily solutions, capsules, nasal and oral spray, creams, ointments) and modern (eyewashes, sterile solutions, injectables).
Why we are still compounder?
The attention toward the single patient and his/her problems, to try to personalize the care more and more and to improve the quality of life of the same.
We can work on:
- DOSING: to turny everytime the active principle in different way from that present in commerce in a medicinal specialty (age, body weight, individual tolerance, particular pathological conditions) or for inherent motives to the active principle.
- ORPHAN MEDICINE: the patient is affected from a pathology in which an active principle is not available in commerce.
- ALLERGIES OR INTOLERANCES TO AN EXCIPIENTS: the patient is allergic or intolerant to an excipients in a medicinal specialty of the commerce.
- DIFFERENT PHARMACEUTICAL FORM: the patient needs a different pharmaceutical respect to that present in the commerce as medicinal specialty.
- TO INCREASE THE COMPLIANCE OF THE PATIENT: it is necessary to reduce the number and the frequency of administration because the patient has more concomitant pathologies. This is possible when scientific data and laws don’t forbid or dissuade the association you begin active in the same pharmaceutical form.
- INSTABILITY CHEMISTRY OR PHYSICS OF AN ACTIVE PRINCIPLE: when an active principle cannot be compounded as industrial because unstable medicine from the chemical or physical point of view, we can prepare a compound for the patient that needs such active principle.
- VETERINARY COMPOUNDING: when an active principle in commerce in a medicinal specialty authorized for the human use, must be use for veterinary use with dosing and suitable pharmaceutical forms.